Whitby Camera Cub was first established in 1898 with meetings at that time being held at the Board School, Cliff Street. The President was Mr H. S. Horne. In the early part of the twentieth century the club moved its meetings to the Waterloo Studios on Flowergate; at this time the President was Mr. William Brown. (This information was recorded in The British Journal Photographic Almanac, 1903 & 1915 respectively)
After the war the club was reformed by Hugh Lambert Smith & others and met at premises in Cook's yard. In 1948 a nationwide competition was held. This competition was sponsored by the magazine "Photographer" and there was a very wide entry from Societies in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. The competition was called "Our Town" and Mr Hugh Lambert-Smith was responsible for the Whitby album which comprised of 50 prints. At the onset it was decided that subject for the competition would be the harbour, the old town & the fishing industry.
The prints were placed on 20" by 15" mounts and placed in a leather casket. The standard of the excellent prints was due in no small measure to Mr. John Tindale placing so much valuable equipment at the Society's service. When the results of the competition were announced Whitby had come second, which was quite an achievement for such a small society.
Around about 1955/1956 the members started to look for a permanent home, and they purchased the now old club premises in Hudson's Yard which they completely renovated and fitted out as a club house themselves, moving there in 1958. Many good years were spent there.
In 2002 the club could no longer afford the upkeep of the premises in Hudson's Yard due to falling membership and rising maintenance costs. The club now meets at the St. John Ambulance Hall Back of St. Hildas Terrace Whitby. visitors are welcome to all meetings.